3 large ripe tomatoes
2 medium eggplants (brinjals)
100ml olive oil
1 tbsp cooking salt
1 large brown onion
3 garlic cloves
1 red capsicum
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1) Slice the eggplant and zucchini.
2) Place in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
3) Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic and set aside.
4) De-stem the tomato with a paring knife and score the skin at the top with a cross (X).
5) Place the tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water from the kettle.
6) Remove after 20 seconds and peel.
7) Slice in half, remove and discard any seeds. Dice the tomatoes and set aside.
8) Slice the capsicum in half and remove the stem, seeds and any white ribs.
9) Dice the capsicum to the same size as the tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini.
10) Wash and drain the eggplant and zucchini and pat dry.
11) Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes on low-medium heat (do not allow onion to turn brown).
12) Add the remaining ingredients, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for an hour.
13) Season with salt and pepper and serve.