dutch oven (4-5l)
2kg rib roast
4 medium onions, sliced
500g baby carrots, cut in half if large
1 bottle burgundy wine (750ml)
170g can tomato paste
½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
dried thyme leaves, to taste
dried bay leaves, to taste
1) Cut up onions and carrots and combine in the bottom of dutch oven.
2) Shake some dried thyme leaves over the mix.
3) Lay meat over vegetable mixture.
4) Sprinkle some black pepper, thyme leaves and about 6 bay leaves on top of meat.
5) Pour the whole bottle of wine into pot – the alcohol will evaporate.
6) Bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for about 3 hours – until meat is soft.
7) When the meat is done, remove from pot, add can of tomato paste, mix and simmer until combined.
8) Return the meat to the pot and refrigerate overnight. (This will make slicing easier when cold).
9) Reheat to serve.