750g chicken, cut into small serving pieces
2 chorizo sausages, sliced
12 large tiger prawns, peeled and de-veined
8 mussels, scrubbed and de bearded
1 medium squid cleaned and cut into rings
1 medium onion, finely diced
125g olive oil
1 bay leaf
500g short grain or Valencia rice
120g fresh or frozen peas
1 litre chicken stock
150ml white wine
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 pimentos, homemade or store-bought, chopped
pinch of saffron threads
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, minced
1) Heat the oil in a paella pan, large deep frying pan or wok.
2) Season the chicken pieces with a little salt and add to the hot oil.
3) Cook until the chicken is golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a warm plate.
4) SautÃ© the prawns in the pan and cook until they turn pink, remove from the pan and set aside.
5) Add the squid rings and cook for 12 minutes and set aside.
6) Cook the chorizo in the pan until just cooked and set aside.
7) Preheat an oven to 180 °C.
8) SautÃ© the onion in the pan (with the oil from from the seafood and chicken) until it is soft and transparent.
9) Add the rice to the pan and cook for a minute.
10) Stir in the stock and wine, add the bay leaf and saffron, and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes until two thirds of the stock has reduced.
11) Mix the parsley, pimentos and peas into the rice.
12) Add the prawns, chorizo and squid to the rice, mixing it in well.
13) Place the mussels into the rice with the opening edges facing upwards.
14) Place the pan uncovered in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
15) Remove the paella from the oven when the stock has dissolved, the rice is just tender and all the mussels have opened (discard any that have not).
16) Garnish with parsley and decorate with lemon wedges.