500g lamb mince
275ml meat or vegetable stock
200ml milk, hot
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp white pepper
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Place onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a pan with the olive oil and sautÃ© for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
2) Add the lamb mince and break up well with a wooden spoon; cook until it is browned.
3) Sprinkle in the flour and mix well, add the tomato purÃ©e, stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning, mix well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4) Peel the potatoes and cut into even sized pieces, cover with hot water and simmer for 20 minutes.
5) Drain when cooked, return to the pan and shake over a low heat to steam off excess moisture.
6) Remove from the heat and crush with a potato masher until smooth, add hot milk, butter and white pepper and beat until fluffy and well blended.
7) Heat the oven to 200 °C. Remove bay leaf from the heat and place the meat in an ovenproof dish.
8) Spoon the mashed potato carefully onto the mix and use a fork to spread the potato over the top, sealing in the meat and making a stripey pattern.
9) Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until top of the potato is slightly golden.