500g Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
225g Emmentaler cheese, coarsely grated
1 ½ cups dry white wine
4 tsps cornstarch
1 clove garlic, halved
2 tsps lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoons kirsch, if desired
freshly ground pepper to taste
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1) In a large bowl combine the cheeses and cornstarch and toss to coat.
2) Rub the inside of a heavy saucepan with the garlic.
3) Add the wine and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
4) Stir in the cheese mixture slowly over a moderate heat, stirring until smooth.
5) Add in the kirsch, if desired. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
6) Simmer the mixture for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a fondue stand set over a low flame.
7) Serve immediately, taking care to stir the fondue continuously (to prevent separating).