2kg skinless chicken thighs/breasts, cut in pieces
1l red wine
6 large potatoes, halved
3 large onions, grated
5 tomatoes, skinless
1 large tin tomato paste
4 tsps masala
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
2 tsps sugar
3 bay leaves
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) SautÃ© the onion and garlic in the potjie until soft.
2) Add the spices and leave for 5-10 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
4) Add chicken pieces, potatoes and a little more wine if necessary.
5) Place the lid on your potjie and simmer for about 45 minutes.
6) Check the liquid level regularly, add more red wine when needed.
7) About 20 minutes before potjie is ready, add sugar to taste, and begin cooking rice or pasta.