2 cups orange lentils, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
1 cup fresh tomato, peeled and diced
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seed, crushed
1 tsp cardamom seed, crushed
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
1) Fill a saucepan with enough water to cover the lentils and bring to a boil.
2) Add salt to boiling water, then add the lentils.
3) Cook until tender – about 20 minutes.
4) Drain and mash with potato masher.
5) Heat oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic until onions are golden.
6) Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.
7) Stir in lentils and heat until thick. Serve while hot.