750g rump or round beef, excess fat trimmed off
450g canned tomatoes
3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
1) Cut meat into 6 serving-size pieces.
2) Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
3) Lay beef on bread board and sprinkle with half of flour mixture.
4) Using a meat mallet, pound flour into it.
5) Turn over, and pound remaining flour into other side.
6) Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
7) Brown meat well on each side.
8) Add remaining ingredients.
9) Stir well, cover, and simmer 1 ¾-2 hours, or until meat is tender.