200g digestive biscuits
100g unsalted butter
75g caster sugar
675g full-fat soft cheese
150g unsalted butter
170g caster sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
30g plain flour
zest and juice of 1 large unwaxed lemon, zest finely grated
½ tsp vanilla essence
425ml sour cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
1) Preheat oven to 190 °C
2) For the base, place the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush to fine crumbs with a rolling pin (a food processor can be used in this step).
3) Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
4) Stir in biscuit crumbs and sugar.
5) Spread the crumb mix over the base of a greased 23cm springform cake tin.
6) Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
7) Remove from oven and allow to cool.
8) Reduce oven temperature to 160 °C.
9) For the filling, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
10) Gradually beat in each egg.
11) Mix in the flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla essence.
12) Place the soft cheese in a separate bowl and beat until smooth.
13) Gently beat in the milk, and then the butter and sugar mixture.
14) Spoon the filling mix over the crumb surface and smooth the top to be level.
15) Bake for one and a half hours.
16) For the topping, place the sour cream, lemon juice and icing sugar in a bowl and beat lightly.
17) Chill the topping until cheesecake is ready for next step.
18) Remove cheesecake from oven and increase oven temperature back to 190 °C.
19) Spread topping over cheesecake evenly and return to oven for another 10 minutes, or until set.
20) Turn off oven and leave the door ajar to allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven without cracking.
21) Chill cheesecake for two hours before serving.