3 cups shredded roast turkey (can substitute chicken, e.g. cooked rotisserie chicken)
800g stewed tomatoes (canned)
1 425g kidney beans (canned)
2 cups water
1 cup chicken stock
½ medium onion, diced
½ medium green pepper, diced
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp chilli powder
½ tbsp cumin
½ tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1) In a large stock pot sautÃ© onion and green pepper in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes, cayenne, salt and pepper and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, stock, water, oregano, bay leaves and turkey and stir until combined.
4) Bring to a simmer and reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
5) Adjust seasonings to taste. Additional salt, spice or sugar can be added to preference.
6) Add more water or stock if too thick, simmer longer if too thin.
This recipe makes a spicy chili. For a milder recipe, halve the cayenne and red pepper flakes.