350g dry couscous
950ml vegetable broth
450g canned chickpeas, drained
1 red onion, chopped
1 zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 yellow squash, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
50g baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
50g Roma tomatoes, sliced
15ml olive oil
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp grated orange zest
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp salt
1) Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat.
2) Place zucchini, yellow squash, onion and carrot in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften and turn translucent.
3) Stir in the red and yellow peppers and mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes. Vegetables should still be firm.
4) Pour in the vegetable stock and season with cardamom, salt, paprika and cilantro.
5) Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
6) Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes.
7) Slowly pour in the couscous and stir.
8) Cover pot immediately and remove from the heat.
9) Allow to stand while covered for 5 minutes.
10) Fluff couscous with a fork. (About half the cooking liquid should now be absorbed)
11) Garnish with orange zest and the grated cheese.
12) Serve slightly above room temperature.