100g wholemeal flour
100g broccoli florets
100g cauliflower florets
50g snow peas
1 large carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
2 egg whites
vegetable oil for deep-frying
150ml pineapple juice
150ml vegetable stock
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tbsps white wine vinegar
2 tbsps soft brown sugar
4 tsps olive oil
2 tsps cornflour
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1) Sift the salt and flour into a large bowl.
2) Add the cayenne pepper.
3) Form a well in the flour, and slowly beat in the oil and 175ml cold water to make a smooth batter.
4) Put the vegetables in a pan of boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes, then drain well.
5) Whisk the egg whites until peaks are forming, and gently fold into the flour batter.
6) Heat the vegetable oil to 180 °C in a deep-fryer.
7) Dip the vegetables into the batter, turning to coat thoroughly.
8) Drain off any excess batter.
9) Fry in batches until golden.
10) Remove and drain on paper towels.
11) Place all of the sauce ingredients in a heavy saucepan, and bring to the boil.
12) Stir continuously until thickened and clear.
13) Serve with the hot fritters.