Ingredients: (Serves 6 – 8)
600g stewing mutton, cut into pieces
1 mutton or beef stock cube
750ml boiling water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
250g fresh beans, sliced
10ml seedless raisins
3 potatoes, cubed
1 onion, sliced into rings
10ml strong curry powder
Pinch ground cloves
3 bananas, sliced
- Brown small quantities of the meat in heated oil. Dissolve the stock cube in boiling water and pour half the stock over the meat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add extra stock and salt and pepper if necessary . Add the green beans, raisins and potatoes. Simmer until the vegetables are nearly tender.
- Meanwhile fry the onion in a little oil until golden brown. Add the curry powder and stir-fry for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the curry mixture to the meat mixture, along with the cloves, vinegar and bananas. If you are not a fan of cooked bananas, you can add them when you dish up. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until cooked and warmed throughout.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the water and stir into the curry. Bring to the boil and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the gravy thickens slightly and is cooked.
- Serve on a bed of Basmati rice.