(HealthDay News) — Rabies is a potentially fatal virus that can be transmitted from an infected animal to people. But parents can take steps to help keep kids and pets safe.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Schedule regular veterinarian checkups and rabies vaccination for your pets.
- If you spot a stray animal in your neighborhood, call animal control.
- Teach children not to approach any stray or animal they don’t know.
- Make sure pets stay indoors until you can supervise them outdoors.
- Avoid attracting stray or wild animals by covering garbage and keeping all pet food and water indoors.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.