(HealthDay News) — Taking steps to better your health before you or your partner becomes pregnant can help ensure a healthier pregnancy.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this preconception advice:
- Take a daily supplement that contains at least 400 micrograms to 800 micrograms of folic acid.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Make sure any chronic health condition, such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy or obesity, is well-controlled.
- Get any necessary vaccinations.
- Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription medications that you’re taking with your doctor.
- Stay away from toxic substances.
- Avoid animal feces that could lead to infection.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.