(HealthDay News) — Doctors frequently order bed rest during pregnancy to protect the mother’s health and that of the developing baby.
The Nemours Foundation says pregnant women are typically ordered to rest in bed if they:
- Have bleeding or early contractions.
- Had complications during a prior pregnancy, or a medical history that increases the risk of complications.
- Have high blood pressure or show certain changes in the cervix.
- Have a multiple pregnancy.
- Had a prior miscarriage, premature birth or stillbirth.
- Have a fetus that doesn’t appear to be developing normally.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.